Saturday, December 3, 2011

Getting Started

The process has taken such a LONGGGG time. As many of you know, I have been working on going abroad since June. Now it is finally in reach.

So here is the quick version of the story:

Back in June, I started the whole process. I sent a federal background check to the FBI. It was said it could take up to three months, and lucky me, it took three months.

Once I had the background check, I needed to get an apostille on the document (international certification of document). To get it on the background check I needed to send the document back to D.C. Major thanks to Seth for helping out with this.

After I got all the documents certified, I could really start the job search. I interviewed with several schools and ended up getting a job at Bundang Honors.

When I signed the contract, I then needed to send the papers to be processed in Korea (by the way, this is now late October). Korean immigration took almost three weeks, leaving me not much time to go to the Consulate in Chicago to get the final Visa.

Finally, on Friday December 2, I went to the post office to get my visa. After receiving it, a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. Now all I am waiting for is my flight information and the final step of actually leaving.

There are several people who deserve a big thank you for helping me through the process. First is obviously my family. All of them helped me in some way; from Kim initially inspiring me to go abroad to Mom and Dad for helping me through the doubts and struggles with the job search. Seth Gordon-Lipkin deserves a huge thanks. If he hadn't been able to help me, I may not have been leaving now, it easily could have been two more months. I'd also like to thank all the friends who listened to me complain about the process a few too many times. Again, thanks to all those who helped.

Keep a look out for another post soon. I hope to write once more before leaving and probably soon after I arrive. Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment