Friday, March 30, 2012

Weekly Update, March 30th

So I decided on Monday to try to take notes on different things that might be blog-worthy throughout the week to try to force myself to write more to keep you updated and to remind myself what I did and some of the funny stories when I start to age. So let’s see how week one of note taking went. (Thanks to the Finn Family for a beautiful journal to write in, it still smells new)

Monday was a very eventful day. It was my first project day with my cute little first graders. I have been on an origami kick recently (thanks Asia…) and decided to make origami gerbils and gerbil cages because the central part of the book we finished was about a class gerbil. The projects turned out really cool! Stupid me, I did not take any pictures except of Christina when she pretended her shoebox/future cage was a computer.

Another class that I really like has given me a Korean name. We read a story about a girl who has somewhat of an identity crisis because she is not called by her full name (called Mary Lopez instead of Maria Isabel Salazar Lopez). So I asked the students if they liked their Korean names or English names better and they all said they liked their Korean names. I also talked about how in the US I would be Mr. Peven instead of Matthew Teacher. I also for some reason wrote my middle name, Todd, on the board. When I told them they needed to give me a Korean name, they instantly knew what to name me 킴도꺼비 (Kim DuKoBi). I was kind of petrified they had given me a curse word as a name, but on Monday they drew a picture for me with a toad on it and wrote it next to my name so I found out my name means Kim Toad. I laughed. It was very cute and funny.

Tuesday was another phenomenal day. It started with an unexpected invitation to a Google Hangout from Avery Robinson. After a short chat with him and Ian, I was brought into the light of the situation that the premise was actually the first ever international schmooze leadership committee meeting. I tried to explain it to my friends, but I don’t think any of them got the full gist of how happy I was and how enjoyable the meeting was. I really cannot explain in words what happened or how much fun it was. Marshall, Avery, and Ian really made my day!

In one of my speaking classes, I ended up getting off topic for a minute. We started talking K-Pop. I have a recent obsession with the band BIGBANG (Link for my favorite song). They have really catchy music and good singers (there are some crazy ones in the group, but just ignore them). One of the girls in the class started freaking out because she loves the band too. She said she went to one of their concerts and got a hug from one of the guys, TOP (I think he is weird, he dyed his hair baby blue). She said she was like a squid after the show which was probably the weirdest description of a feeling I have ever heard.

On Wednesday night for dinner, I got a rotisserie chicken. This may sound weird, but a few nights a week, a truck parks on the corner of our school and sells rotisserie chickens out of the back. Korea is known for its convenience and street food, so this combines both into a nice package. You also buy them in sets of three for TEN BUCKS! It is a great deal! It also tastes really great! Only drawback is that you eat it like a caveman and your hands are covered in grease and oil while wearing work clothes. Not a great combination.

On Thursday in the same speaking class as mentioned previously, I was doing a lesson around schools. I had asked the students what was their favorite and least favorite thing about HR (the school). Before I continue, you should know that I hate bathrooms here. They are gross, cold, and ill-equipped. My second installment of Seriously Korea?! Is about the bathroom, currently written but not edited. So basically bathrooms suck. So when a sweet little girl in the class said the bathroom was her favorite thing about HR I was BLOWN AWAY! I am well aware most of the kids hate Hagwon, but so far as to say the best part is by far my least favorite part was a shock! I hope this will make more sense when I post the Seriously Korea?!, but it was bad.

Today, Friday, I went to the post office to mail something to my sister for her birthday. I know it probably won’t make it in time, but it is the thought that counts. Anyway, I got to the location and went to the desk. I had the woman the envelope and she says “Africa? Ohh…” to which I respond “Ne,” which means yes. She spends a good 5 minutes rifling through books and typing stuff in. Meanwhile I’m freaking out that my bill is going to be $30 and then translating “never mind I don’t want to send it” would be very hard. After it all ended, 1210₩ or basically $1! I was shocked! A pleasant little surprise that I could send a little birthday cheer without breaking the bank!

At school, on the last day of the month, students in reading classes must give speeches they have worked on all month. It starts at the beginning of the month with a topic and they outline, write and rewrite until the end of the month when they present it. Along with the speaking part, they also must create a visual aid, which always ends up being a PowerPoint presentation, or as they like to say, a PPT. There were two notable things that were on their presentations. First, one of my student’s was giving his speech and on his last slide, he snuck in a grainy black and white photo of Barack Obama. However, the thing that totally rocked me was when one girl was sharing hers on Parents’ Day, she talked about President Bill Clinton who instituted the day (supposedly celebrated on the 4th Sunday each July). On her PowerPoint, she said “Here is a picture of President Clinton,” but instead of Bill, there was a picture of Hilary! I almost died! I had to hold in the laughter because she was in the middle of her speech! AHHH!!! SOOO FUNNY!!!!

Anyway, now I am writing this while enjoying a pizza, rounding off what was a pretty good work week. I hope this continues so you can get another fill next Friday. I also will try to start taking more pictures. I carry my camera everywhere I go, but never end up taking any pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Stain stick for those chicken outings. Please take more pictures-you are halfway there if you have th e camera. Love you-Mom

    ReplyDelete